Nottingham Forest head coach Steve Cooper has given an update on the fitness of Rodrigo Ely to Nottinghamshire Live.
The 27-year-old is yet to feature in a squad since making a free transfer to the City Ground back in September.
A debut is edging closer, however, with Ely pencilled in to play for the under-23 outfit at Meadow Lane on Monday.
Forest’s young guns are enjoying a pretty decent start to life in Premier League 2 and they’ll be boosted with some experience next week.
Ely has suffered a number of setbacks since checking in at Forest. Now, he looks to be on the mend though and Cooper appears happy.
He told Nottinghamshire Live: “Rodrigo will play next Monday for the under-23s. That’s an important step for his return to play because he’s been out for a long time and has had a couple of setbacks.
“He’s trained for a couple of weeks now. It will be good for him to play on Monday; it’s a game I will be at too.
“He’s been really unfortunate really.”
Ely return could be timely for Forest
The Reds are down to the bare bones when it comes to central defenders; particularly with Cooper utilising three all at once in the starting eleven these days.
Having one on the bench would allow the Reds to mix things up a bit and would bode well ahead of a big period of games for Forest.
Ely has bags of experience having spent time with AC Milan and Alaves and he could prove a decent addition to the ranks.
Cooper appears to have given a clean slate to everyone and it’s perhaps interesting that he will be at the under-23 game on Monday.
Ely will want to start making his mark on things on Trentside and Monday needs to be the catalyst for him to prove himself.
- Report: Nottingham Forest want £23k-a-week dead-ball expert, Reds are signing his teammate
- Journalist shares exciting update as Nottingham Forest near huge deal, fans will be buzzing
- Report: Nottingham Forest bid for £27,000-a-week 'bargain' and Michael Owen would endorse move
- Report: Nottingham Forest still want 21-year-old, he was benched on Sunday
- Report: 'Underrated' warrior set for Nottingham Forest medical, he's a 'complete midfielder'